The following information can be accessed at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau including claim submissions, regulations, and credit reporting.
Tools and Resources
- Ask CFPB: Answers to more than 1,000 questions about financial products and services, including credit cards, mortgages, student loans, bank accounts, credits reports, payday loans, and debt collection.
- Submit a complaint: You can submit a complaint about a consumer financial product or service online, or by calling (855) 411-CFPB (2372). We’ll forward your complaint to the company for a response.
- CFPB en español: A central point of access to our consumer resources available in Spanish.
- Publications : Order or download free publications and materials about money management and other financial topics.
- Consumer advisories: From time to time we issue advisories to help consumers with current issues related to consumer financial products or services.
Credit Reporting/Identity Theft
- Summary of your rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (en español )
- Summary of your rights when you believe you are the victim of identity theft (en español )
- Answers to questions about credit reports, credit scores, identity theft, and how to get your free annual credit reports
- Additional rights of servicemembers
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) also has information on credit reporting, credit scores, what to do in case of identity theft , and how to create an identity theft report
- Here are steps you can take if you think your credit or debit card data was hacked
- Additional information about credit reports
- We have information on mortgages for homebuyers, homeowners, and anyone who needs help understanding our mortgage rules.
- Find a housing counselor near you. Housing counselors can provide advice on buying or renting a home, foreclosures, and credit issues.
Check out our booklets if you’re getting a mortgage or a home equity line of credit:
- Your home loan toolkit: A step-by-step guide
- Download the Consumer Handbook on Adjustable Rate Mortgages in English | Spanish
- What you should know about home equity lines of credit (HELOC)
You can order printed copies from the U.S. Government Printing Office.
For the Financial Services Industry
- Regulations: Information about CFPB regulations, including proposed and final rules
- Guidance: From time to time, we post letters and other materials providing guidance to industry and members of the public.
- Regulatory implementation: We’ve got resources to help you understand the rules and their implications, as well as links to various other helpful resources.
- Supervision and Examination Manual
Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Summary of consumers’ rights under the FCRA (en español )
- Summary of consumers’ rights when they believe they are the victim of identity theft (en español )
- Businesses’ responsibilities under the FCRA (full text of FCRA and full text of Regulation V )
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA)
NOTE: HMDA information is provided by the Federal Reserve Board via the FFIEC under agreements with all the financial regulators.
- The Federal Financial Institution Examinations Council (FFIEC) provides information on HMDA , including:
- Instructions on how to file your submission
- The Average Prime Offer Rates publication
- A rate spread calculator to assist you with reporting rate spread information
- The Federal Reserve Board has information on the 2010 HMDA hearings
Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
Your home loan toolkit is designed to help consumers understand the home buying process and the nature and costs of real estate settlement services. This toolkit replaces the Settlement Cost Booklet. Lenders are required to provide the toolkit to consumers after application, and all market participants are encouraged to provide the toolkit to consumers as early in the home or mortgage shopping process as possible.
- Download the toolkit, designed for web posting and interactivity (English | Spanish )
- Download the print-ready PDF (Large | Small | Spanish )
- Pre-order printed copies (Large | Small ) from the U.S. Government Printing Office
- Download instructions and required disclaimer (English | Spanish) if you’d like to add your organization’s logo
Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act (SAFE Act)
- Learn more about the SAFE Act on HUD’s website , or visit the SAFE Act page of the FFIEC website.
- The Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System has information to help guide institutions through the registration process.
Truth in Lending Act (TILA)
- Consumer handbook on adjustable rate mortgages , also known as the CHARM Booklet, is updated as of June 2020. Download the print-ready version (English | Spanish ) or the web-enabled version (English | Spanish ). You can also order printed copies from the U.S. Government Printing Office.
- What you should know about home equity lines of credit (HELOC) brochure (English | Spanish ) is updated as of Jan. 10, 2014. A version is available in DOC format (English | Spanish ) and you can order printed copies from the U.S. Government Printing Office.